This thematic research cluster aims at research that seeks to promote democratic governance in society (local and international) by providing a forum that can be used by researchers to engage with issues and policy debates affecting society. Among others such areas include: research work on the promotion of:
- Social accountability, and social justice,
- Social protection in post conflict areas,
- Respect for human rights and rule of law,
- Conflict and security analysis,
- Political parties, and interest articulation, interest adjudication,
- Politics of local governance,
- Regional economic and political integration.